poetessa

Diary, musings on life, people, interests. Posting my poetry

My Photo
Name:
Location: Lacey, WA, United States

I have a Certified Artist/Teacher degree with the National Society of Decorative Painters. Taught decorative painting, color theory, calligraphy and other art related classes for 12 years. I enjoy using my artistic talents, especially to update furniture and repurpose found items. I am married to the world's most wonderful husband. We celebrated our 48th anniversary this year (2016). We have raised six children, three boys, three girls. Have 10 grandchildren. Through the NSDP I have paintings in the White House, Blaire House and Smithsonian Institute. I was given the honor of being the Chair of the Pacific NW, "Breeze and Brush" Decorative Painting Convention. What fun we had! I like keeping healthy and enjoy life. I love humor and people. God has been good to me!

Saturday, March 17, 2012

W.C. 'Chick' O'Neall; Have Binoculars, will travel!

My dad 'Chick' O'Neall, on a beach in California in the 1930's.  Very dapper with his hat and vest.  I was able to clean this picture up fairly well in Photoshop, it was stained and creased here and there.

Dad was a sports announcer, he called the horse races in many different places; Caliente, Mexico, Longacres, Renton, WA, Yakima Meadows, Yakima, WA, Portland Meadows, Portland, WA and Playfair, Spokane, WA.  He wrote the handicap for the P.I. (Post Intelligencer) newspaper in Seattle, and was on the radio also.  This picture was taken in the 1930's, track side in Caliente, Mexico.  Looks like he is giving the results of a race after it had been called.  I like the hats, hope they come back into fashion.  Speaking of hats, here's a link to a great hat site:  http://optimohats.com/

Dad in the announcers booth at Longacres Race Track, Renton, WA.  He had a unique calling voice.  He was one of a kind!  Rest in peace dad!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Jason Beem said...

What great pictures and a tribute to Chick. I'm the announcer at Portland Meadows and growing up in Renton near Longacres, hearing Gary Hensen and Chick's calls are part of my childhood.

I'd really love to see any other pictures you have of him at Longacres or in the other announcer's booth.
Jason jballscalls@aol.com

10:34 AM  
Anonymous Steven Anderson said...

Hello, Chick's sister, Nora Mae, was my grandmother. She spoke often of him. She told me he called the races at playfair. So I thought I would snoop around on the internet and see what I could find. Seems he had a very interesting life. Neat pictures. Thanks for posting them . Regards, Steve Anderson
From Spokane Washington.

10:46 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love this! Googled Grandpa and found this, thanks so much Auntie Carol! xoxoxo

❤️ Nohelle

10:01 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

so that would make us long lost cousins? Hey fam!

7:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home