poetessa

Diary, musings on life, people, interests. Posting my poetry

My Photo
Name:
Location: Lacey, WA, United States

I have a Certified Artist/Teacher degree with the National Society of Decorative Painters. Taught decorative painting, color theory, calligraphy and other art related classes for 12 years. I enjoy using my artistic talents, especially to update furniture and repurpose found items. I am married to the world's most wonderful husband. We celebrated our 48th anniversary this year (2016). We have raised six children, three boys, three girls. Have 10 grandchildren. Through the NSDP I have paintings in the White House, Blaire House and Smithsonian Institute. I was given the honor of being the Chair of the Pacific NW, "Breeze and Brush" Decorative Painting Convention. What fun we had! I like keeping healthy and enjoy life. I love humor and people. God has been good to me!

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Whaaahooo! I am back on my Blog! 9/24/08















Fall is coming for sure, I found my husband waxing the vehicles in preparation for the cold, wet weather.

In a clean garage!!  After 36 years in our house, the garage needed a complete overhaul.  Oh the treasures we found and the junk we tossed.  That will be another post.

For now, the vehicles are waxed and have a clean garage to park in with nothing to crawl over after getting out of the car - if you could get out!

The triplets in the picture are for grandchildren, for Halloween, I couldn't resist them with their big googly eyes and cute faces.  I'm getting into the mood for crisp weather, fires in the fireplace, hot spiced cider and donuts.  I have to talk myself into it because I really dislike being cold and wet!

Memories of my time spent in the garden soaking up the sun will keep me happy through the winter months.  And the beautiful tulip, crocus, daffodil, Iris and other bulbs given to me by my son Von and his wife Becky will give me something to look forward to in the coming spring.  The Giant King Edward tulips were 3 1/2 feet tall.

Here are my friends, Mark and Helen, ready to jump in and help, standing by the zucchini plants. 

I have many containers of zucchini, onion, yellow crook neck squash and sweet cherry tomatoes, sauteed in oil and butter, stored in the freezer to be added to soup, spaghetti sauce or just eaten as is.  

We picked blueberries, blackberries and froze them for some wonderful cobblers, pies and muffins in November, December and January.  Next is a trip to the Nisqually Wildlife Reserve where there are giant apple trees dropping their fruit.  They make wonderful pies for the holidays.

Now that the rain has started, we'll give it a few days to work its magic.  Then we will be going into the woods in search of Golden Chantrelle mushrooms.  I hope it is a good crop this year.  We came home one season with two shopping bags full.  I clean, cut, saute' in butter, sometimes I add garlic powder to them.  Ladle them into small freezer bags in 1/2 cup portions and freeze them.  I hate it when I have to buy mushrooms.  It was like that with my tomatoes this year, I was picking at least four cups off the vines every other day.  I would think of the small container in the store that sold for $4.49 with only about 20 tomatoes in it.

I planted 'Sweet 100' cherry tomatoes and they were so sweet and delicious you could eat them like candy off the vines.

A cool, overcast and damp day today.  The sun managed to peek through now and then but fall is definitely in the air and I'll be cleaning out the flower pots and the garden spot in preparation for cold weather.

Its so nice to be back again, this is an outlet for my creative side.  Had a problem with our PC, changed internet providers, got a new Mac OS X and a new internet provider, Blogger changed to a Google account and I was unable to access my Blog, frustration galore.  But that is now in the past and I'm thankful for that!

I'll be back tomorrow.  God bless you!


Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home