poetessa

Diary, musings on life, people, interests. Posting my poetry

My Photo
Name:
Location: Lacey, WA, United States

I have a Certified Artist/Teacher degree with the National Society of Decorative Painters. Taught decorative painting, color theory, calligraphy and other art related classes for 12 years. I enjoy using my artistic talents, especially to update furniture and repurpose found items. I am married to the world's most wonderful husband. We celebrated our 48th anniversary this year (2016). We have raised six children, three boys, three girls. Have 10 grandchildren. Through the NSDP I have paintings in the White House, Blaire House and Smithsonian Institute. I was given the honor of being the Chair of the Pacific NW, "Breeze and Brush" Decorative Painting Convention. What fun we had! I like keeping healthy and enjoy life. I love humor and people. God has been good to me!

Monday, November 03, 2008

Charolais Bull Sign

Oils on plywood, May 1978

When I first started painting in 1973 I used only oils.  I appreciated the slow drying time and the ability to work the colors longer and blend them well.  I painted in oils for years until I started experiencing some allergy problems and switched to acrylics.

This is one of the largest projects I worked on using oils.  A friend of mine, who was also a fellow painter, had owned land where she and her husband lived.  They decided to raise some Charolais cattle and asked if I would paint a sign for them.

Her husband cut and sanded the wood and set it up on sawhorses in their barn for me to paint.  It measured six feet wide by four feet tall  Thankfully the weather was warm and comfortable for the time it took to paint it.

I gave the board several coats of a dark blue acrylic paint and sprayed the dried surface with Matte finish for a good painting surface.

I took pictures of their Charolais bull and using large rolls of tracing paper, that were cut and taped together to match the size of the board, I sketched the outline of the bull and then transferred it to the painted background using a white, artists, transfer paper. 

I had to use much larger, flat brushes for such a large project.  To base the body I used a regular, soft bristle, paint brush like you would use to do trim in the house. I worked on a section at a time starting with the head, applying shading, highlights, color and blending.

The whole project took me several days to complete, but was such a pleasure to work on.  
 


Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice blog, thanks.

9:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home