poetessa

Diary, musings on life, people, interests. Posting my poetry

My Photo
Name:
Location: Lacey, WA, United States

I have a Certified Artist/Teacher degree with the National Society of Decorative Painters. Taught decorative painting, color theory, calligraphy and other art related classes for 12 years. I enjoy using my artistic talents, especially to update furniture and repurpose found items. I am married to the world's most wonderful husband. We celebrated our 48th anniversary this year (2016). We have raised six children, three boys, three girls. Have 10 grandchildren. Through the NSDP I have paintings in the White House, Blaire House and Smithsonian Institute. I was given the honor of being the Chair of the Pacific NW, "Breeze and Brush" Decorative Painting Convention. What fun we had! I like keeping healthy and enjoy life. I love humor and people. God has been good to me!

Monday, December 14, 2009

Christmas is almost here

Christmas is coming, a time to celebrate the birth of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. My husband and I sing in the choir at church and have been practicing for a couple of months. I was glad to discover that most of the songs we had sung before and were comfortable with, otherwise I would have had to spend hours going through my Alto part in my mind, humming it until it became the 'melody' to me. I don't read music so I have the pianist play the Alto part and I record it, much easier to learn.

It was time to bring out the decorations and that's what sparked my creative bent. Now that I am retired I have a little more time for the creative things I've always wanted to do. One of the projects this year was to do my own Christmas cards using my painting and poetry.

This is a 'triptych" meaning three/fold. Three panels with pictures, designs or carvings, hinged so that the two side panels may be folded over the central one. They were originally used as an altar piece.

Mine is painted wood, with the birth of Christ as the central theme. On the outside panels the roses signify purity, the heart, love and the Dove the Holy Spirit. I can't believe this painting is already 27 years old, painted in 1982.

When open the painting in the middle is of Joseph, Mary and baby Jesus with the animals, chickens and Angels, dangling little hearts, looking on.

The left panel depicts Calvary, the right, the town of Bethlehem, Jesus birth place.

The entire piece was based with a green/black and the design painted with soft washes and transparent side-loads of color; the dark background provides the shading.

The routed edges were painted Red Iron Oxide and then given a coat of Antique Gold bronzing powder mixed with varnish. The entire piece was varnished
several times with a satin water based varnish.

I had also painted the same design on a large card for our church several years ago. I decided I would use this as the design for my Christmas card so I scanned it into my computer, added the scripture from Isaiah 9:6 at the top.

I printed it on half-fold card stock and put the verse I have composed inside.

You can get wonderful deals on card stock and envelopes on eBay I ordered 500 of each and do all of my own cards for birthdays, anniversaries, get well, just for fun, etc. It's fun and counting the large color cartridge I use for printing, they cost me just .54 cents each.

Try it, you can use photographs you take yourself, add 'talk bubbles' to the people, it's a lot of fun.

I wish you all a very Merry Christmas. God bless you all.

Here is the verse I wrote and put inside the card.


The Lights Of Christmas
12/12/09

Across the land at Christmas
Slowly now, begins the glow
Celebrating the Christ child's birth
The twinkling, colored lights below

Soon there comes a glorious sound
Angels bend their heads to hear
Thousands of choirs praising God
With heartfelt thanks and music dear

Those familiar, beloved, songs of old
Like heavenly Angel wings unfurled
To lift the spirit and excite the soul
Spread joy and hope across the world

Our wonderful God, Creator, Father
Love, forgiveness and salvation imparts
And gazes with pleasure on His children
Who celebrate Christmas in their hearts

God's Christmas gift is yours for the taking
The God who loves you, bids you come
Accept, believe and worship the King
That babe in the manger was Jesus, His son

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home