poetessa

Diary, musings on life, people, interests. Posting my poetry

My Photo
Name:
Location: Lacey, WA, United States

I have a Certified Artist/Teacher degree with the National Society of Decorative Painters. Taught decorative painting, color theory, calligraphy and other art related classes for 12 years. I enjoy using my artistic talents, especially to update furniture and repurpose found items. I am married to the world's most wonderful husband. We celebrated our 48th anniversary this year (2016). We have raised six children, three boys, three girls. Have 10 grandchildren. Through the NSDP I have paintings in the White House, Blaire House and Smithsonian Institute. I was given the honor of being the Chair of the Pacific NW, "Breeze and Brush" Decorative Painting Convention. What fun we had! I like keeping healthy and enjoy life. I love humor and people. God has been good to me!

Saturday, March 17, 2012

If I'm going to make pancakes, other than from scratch, this is the only mix we use.  Good old 'Snoqualmie Falls Lodge' pancake mix.  The best in the west!!  When the kids were living at home, our 'big' breakfast day was on Saturdays, pancakes or waffles, apple fritters or whatever the majority of the children (there were six) wanted.

Don and I have the most wonderful veterinarians, Mike Dougherty and Rene Hilbiber.  Rene raises Aracauna chickens (aka Easter Egg chickens) because they lay the most beautifully colored eggs)  Every now and then Rene will send a dozen home with Don.  These are three of them, I used up all the green and light blue ones.  Fresh Aracauna chicken eggs, nothing better on pancakes.  The yolks are a golden brown and they are super fresh!!  Thanks Rene!!

Ready for Don to tackle.  A 'wagon wheel' pancake (you only need one!), freshly buttered,  fresh Aracauna chicken eggs, smokey bacon and maple syrup.....breakfast fit for a king. 

The All American favorite with orange juice and hot coffee!!  Yum!  Have to tell you the story of Cinnamon.  We had a neighbor dog named Cinnamon, she was a liver spotted Dalmation.  Well, Cinnamon knew we always had our big breakfasts on Saturdays and she would come down and sit outside our sliding glass doors looking in at our family enjoying their breakfast.

  We made it a habit of saving a pancake, waffle or bacon for her.  She was very patient.  You didn't dare let her in, she was a tank of a dog, thick and solid. Her wagging tail could almost knock you off your feet.  But eventually one of the kids would open the door and give Cinnamon her long awaited treat, she would head down the patio, tail wagging like crazy, and head for home to enjoy her breakfast.

  It was something we and Cinnamon enjoyed for years.  I considered Cinnamon my buddy, she would come down and lay next to me when I weeded in the flower beds and I would buy sacks of medium size Milk Bones just for Cinnamon, our dog, Jenny, wouldn't touch them.  I did this for years.

  One day I came home from the store and was unpacking the groceries, when my son said "who are the Mllk bones for mom?"  I replied "Cinnamon!"  We always would say "Seeeeenaaaaamaaaannnnnn!"

Von said, "Mom, they moved!"  I cried! No one asked me if they could move and take our buddy away.  I felt bad for weeks.  Then, as time does, the ache went away, but I would think of her so often.

One day, about three years later, I came home from work to have lunch.  I unlocked the door, stepped inside, looked across the dining room and who should be sitting on the step looking in, smiling that big toothy dog grin and wagging her tail hard enough to cause bruises?  "Seeeeeeenaaaaaaamaaannnnn!"  And that's exactly what I yelled as I ran and threw my arms around her welcome doggy body.  Apparently they had only moved about a mile away, Cinnamon had dug out and come back to visit.  Don't you ever tell me that animals don't remember things.  Oh yes they do!!  Love you Cinnamon!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home